Yesterday in the mail I received a QSL card from Hope Radio Palau regarding my reception of their station on 12th December 2021.
Yesterday in the mail I received a QSL card from Radio Azadi. I tuned in to Radio Azadi on 6th November 2021 on 15640 kHz.
At about 1140 UTC on Sunday 20th February 2022, I tuned in to National Unity Radio, SOUTH KOREA, broadcasting in the Korean language on 6115 kHz.
The broadcast was coming from the Tamsui District 300kW transmitter in Taiwan.
The overall reception of National Unity Radio was good. There was a very evident jamming signal on the frequency.
Below is a short video showing my reception of National Unity Radio.
At about 0930 UTC on 19th February 2022, I tuned in to NHK World Japan, broadcasting in the Japanese language on 15290 kHz.
The broadcast was coming from NHK’s Issoudun 250 kW transmitter in France.
The overall reception of NHK was good.
Below is a short video showing my reception of NHK World Japan.
At about 0844 UTC on 19th February 2022, I tuned in to China Radio International, broadcasting in the English language on 17490 kHz.
The broadcast was coming from the Kashi-Saibagh 2022 500 kW transmitter.
The overall reception of CRI was good.
Below is a short video of my reception of CRI.
At about 1509 UTC on 17th February 2022, I tuned in to Nippon No Kaze, broadcasting in the Japanese language on 7290 kHz.
This station is run by the Japanese government and targets any Japanese citizens that were abducted by North Korea and remain alive in the country.
Abductions of Japanese citizens from Japan by agents of the North Korean government took place during a period of six years from 1977 to 1983.
The station has been on air since 9th July 2007 and is produced by the Japanese government agency “Headquarters for the Abduction Issue”.
Nippon no Kaze means Wind from Japan in English.
The overall reception of Nippon No Kaze was very very poor. There was severe interference from China National Radio CNR1 China broadcasting on the same frequency. There was also an obvious jamming signal on the frequency.
Below is a video showing my reception of Nippon No Kaze.
- Short Wave Info, 2022, <https://www.short-wave.info/>, viewed 17th February 2022.
- Short Wave Schedule, 2022, <https://shortwaveschedule.com/>, viewed 17th February 2022.
- Short Wave Archive, 2022, <https://shortwavearchive.com/archive/furusato-no-kaze-september-17-2015>, viewed 17th February 2022.
- Wikipedia, 2022, <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Korean_abductions_of_Japanese_citizens>, viewed 17th February 2022.
On 17th February 2022, I did another night of Medium Wave DXing. This time I logged sixteen (16) Australian stations and one (1) confirmed overseas station – China National Radio CNR6, and possibly two (2) other overseas stations (not confirmed).
531 kHz – Radio Italiano
- 500 watts
- transmitter located at WINGFIELD.
558 kHz 4AM Mareeba, QUEENSLAND.
- Just readable. Interference from ABC Radio on same frequency
- 2140 km
567 kHz – 2BH Broken Hill, NEW SOUTH WALES.
- 500 watts
- First on air on 30th June 1934
- 446 km
585 kHz – 2WEB, The Voice of The Outback.
639 kHz – 5CK Crystal Brook, SOUTH AUSTRALIA.
837 kHz – 4RK Rockhampton, QUEENSLAND
- 1,744 km
855 kHz – ??? SAUDI ARABIA ???
- extremely difficult copy due to ABC Radio on the same frequency.
- Middle Eastern music.
900 kHz – 2LT Lithgow, NEW SOUTH WALES.
909 kHz – China National Radio CNR6
945 kHz – Unidentified
- Unidentified Chinese language station.
- only heard momentarily – mostly drowned out by RSN racing station on the frequency
1125 kHz – Radio Reading Service, Canberra, ACT
1143 kHz – 4HI Emerald, QUEENSLAND.
- interference from 2HD Newcastle on the frequency
- 1,591 km
1161 kHz – 5PA Narracoorte, SOUTH AUSTRALIA
- Very strong signal.
1179 kHz – 3RP Vision Australia
- coverage of Russia/Ukraine crisis
1413 kHz – Vision Christian Radio, Shepparton, VICTORIA.
- 500 watts
- Christian music
- Lots of interference from 2EA SBS Radio on the same frequency.
1476 kHz – 4ZR Roma, QUEENSLAND.
- intereference from 5MG Mount Gambier on the frequency
1503 kHz – 3KND, Melbourne, VICTORIA.
- Cool N Deadly
- indigeneous station
1557 kHz – Wild Country, Renmark SOUTH AUSTRALIA.
- 500 watts
- country and western style music
1611 kHz – Vision Christian Network, VICTORIA
- 400 watts
- religious content
Below is a short video showing some of the stations I heard.
A selection of some QSL cards that Marija and I have received here in the past few weeks.
Tonight (16th February 2022) I decided to see if I could log some DX on the Medium Frequency (MF) band. I managed to log a total of thirty-nine (39) Australian stations and one (1) station in China.
I was a little disappointed that only one overseas station made it into my log. But I then thought about how we here in Australia really do take ‘size’ for granted. A few of the Australian stations I logged were about 1,500 – 2,100 km away. In some parts of the world that would definitely be called DX, across multiple countries.
Australia is a big country. It is about 4,000 km east to west and about 3,200 km south to north. The whole of Europe and the United Kingdom easily fits inside Australia, as the map below shows.
Below is a list of the stations I heard. I have highlighted in red, the distance of some of those stations (roughly as the crow files).
- 747 kHz – 6SE Esperance, WESTERN AUSTRALIA 1,500 km
- 765 kHz – 5CC Port Lincoln, SOUTH AUSTRALIA (music)
- 783 kHz – 6VA Albany, WESTERN AUSTRALIA (music) 1,800 km
- 801 kHz – 5RM Renmark, SOUTH AUSTRALIA (music)
- 864 kHz – 4GR Toowoomba, QUEENSLAND 1,500 km
- 918 kHz – 4VL Charleville, QUEENSLAND (music)
- 918 kHz – 6NA Narrogin, WESTERN AUSTRALIA 2,100 km
- 927 kHz – 4CC Gladstone, QUEENSLAND. 1,700 km
- 936 kHz – 7ZR Hobart, TASMANIA (talkback)
- 954 kHz – 2UE Sydney, NEW SOUTH WALES (music)
- 963 kHz – 5SE Mount Gambier, SOUTH AUSTRALIA (music)
- 981 kHz – 3HA Hamilton, VICTORIA (Australia Overnight program)
- 990 kHz – 4RO Rockhampton, QUEENSLAND 1,700 km
- 999 kHz – 2NB Broken Hill, NEW SOUTH WALES (Nightlife program)
- 1044 kHz – 5CS Port Pirie (music)
- 1053 kHz – 2CA Canberra, ACT (music)
- 1071 kHz – 3EL Maryborough, VICTORIA (music)
- 1089 kHz – 3WM Horsham, VICTORIA (music)
- 1098 kHz – 4LG Longreach, QUEENSLAND 1,700 km
- 1134 kHz – 3CS Colac, VICTORIA (talkback)
- 1152 kHz – 2WG Wagga, NEW SOUTH WALES (music)
- 1206 kHz – 2CC Canberra, ACT
- 1233 kHz – 2NA Newcastle, NEW SOUTH WALES
- 1242 kHz – 4AK Oakey, QUEENSLAND (heard below 3GV)
- 1242 kHz – 3GV Sale, VICTORIA (music)
- 1251 kHz – 2DU Dubbo, NEW SOUTH WALES
- 1269 kHz – 2SM Sydney, NEW SOUTH WALES (talkback)
- 1278 kHz – 3EE Magic, Melbourne, VICTORIA (music)
- 1314 kHz – 3BT Ballarat, VICTORIA (greyhound racing).
- 1323 kHz – 5DN Adelaide (music)
- 1332 kHz – 3SH Ballarat, VICTORIA (talkback)
- 1350 kHz – 2LF Young, NEW SOUTH WALES
- 1368 kHz – 2GN Goulburn, NEW SOUTH WALES (music)
- 1377 kHz – 3MP Rowville, VICTORIA (music)
- 1449 kHz – 2MG Mudgee, NEW SOUTH WALES
- 1467 kHz – 3ML Mildura, VICTORIA
- 1494 kHz – 2AY Albury, NEW SOUTH WALES
- 1566 kHz – 3NE Wangaratta, VICTORIA (talkback)
- 1584 kHz – 4CC Rockhampton, QUEENSLAND (music) 1,700 km
- 909 kHz – China National Radio CNR6. 6,980 km
CNR6 is located in Quanzhou, Fujian, CHINA and is a 300kW station.
Here is a video of some of the Australian stations I logged.
And here is a video of CNR6. I was pretty excited about hearing this station.
So although not overly successful in logging a bagful of overseas stations, I did have a lot of fun. After hearing China, I am now hooked by the AM DX bug.
At about 0638 UTC on Sunday 12th February 2022, I tuned in to Voice of America broadcasting in the English language on 15580 kHz.
The broadcast was coming from the Selebi-Phikwe 100 kW transmitter in Botswana in Africa.
The overall reception of VOA was good.
Below is a short video of my reception of VOA.